Thursday, March 01, 2007

msb-0119 This too shall pass

msb-0119 This too shall pass.

Intro

Lets try this again "en Francais":
"Parlez vous Français?

Voudriez vous avoir un programme sur les expériences de quelq'un qui à la sclérose en plaque, dit en Français?

Malheureusement, il n'y a rien pour vous.

Il va vous faloir le créer.

C'est votre chance alors.

Joignez vous a MSBPodcast.com et commencez en un
.

Envoyez moi un courriel á charles á MSBPodcast.com (Cette offre est bonne en France et/ou au Québec)"

(Speech courtesy of AT&T research [http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php ])
Alors, vous attendez quois?

I know at least one of you has come to the blog, or to the podcast again.

Drop me an email at charles (at) MSBPodcast.com.

I do okay at writing French.

Now lets try this again "auf deutsch":
"Sprechen Sie Deutsches?

Wurden Sie mögen ein Programm für Sie auf den Erfahrungen von jemand haben, die mit der mehrfachen Sklerose, auf Deutsch?

Leider gibt es nichts für Sie.

Sie müssen sie verursachen.

Dieses ist Ihre Wahrscheinlichkeit dann.

Verbinden Sie MSBPodcast.com und Anfang eins."

(Translation courtesy of Babel Fish [http://babelfish.altavista.com/] speech courtesy of AT&T research [http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php ]
(Hopefully some native German speaker will take pity on his ears and spare me the indignity and drop me an email at charles (at) MSBPodcast.com. :-)

And the number of visitors to my sites from the Netherlands, (check the map at MSBPodcast.com,) tells that there's an awful lot of Dutch speakers out there too. (I don't speak Dutch and I'm not going to pretend that I do.)

Anybody in Amsterdam interested in doing a show for Dutch speaking MSers?

You'd get the same deal as the Greek (hello Homer [ http://mysclerosismultiple.blogspot.com/ ] :-), the Francophones and the German speakers.

Drop me a line: charles (at) MSBPodcast.com

---- "Going Through Changes" by: "Army Of Me" http://www.armyofmeonline.com/

Feedback comes first, so...

I got some great stuff when Jeff [ http://confessionsofadj.libsyn.com/ ] played my promo and gave me some props on his show "Confessions of a DJ."

For all I know, he's driven a few listeners to my sites and to my podcast. (And why don't you drop me a message about that charles (at) MSBPodcast.com.)

I like listening to his show because it really features the best of Canadian indie music.

----

We should be hearing back from MDMHvonPA [ http://www.mdmhvonpa.blogspot.com/ ] soon too.

He's been sick with what sounds like a god awful cold, but he's getting better.

----

Want to hear what a dork I am?

I'd completely forgot that March is MS Awareness Month.

Thank you Allyson Reynolds [ http://netxperiment.com/wordpress/ ] for reminding me.

---- "Everybody Changes" by: "COMEG" http://www.comeg.org/

Feed forward come next, so...

My friend Eugene brought back a book I'd forgot I'd even lent him: "Pattern Recognition" by "William Gibson" ISBN: 0-425-19868-5.

Even though this book dates from 2003, as we all know that's like a million years in internet time, it was extremely interesting in that it predated and predicted the coming of YouTube.

Not the actual mechanisms of YouTube, but the motivations and the decisions that led to the creation of a YouTube style video media content aggregation service.

William Gibson has a track record of telling us since "Neuromancer" in 1984, "why" things are happening.

I can also find some things in this book which are reminiscent of why Apple, Steve Jobs and Johnathan Ives are the design powerhouse that they are.

----

Something else that has brought many hours of enjoyment to my palate is: "Spices of Life" by "Nina Simonds" ISBN: 0-375-41160-7.

My palate is awash in the myriad tastes that this book has brought to my wifes' cooking.

I am waxing lyrical because my taste buds are just the happiest things in my life right now. (As someone once put it when describing inter-personal relationships: "Sex is fun, but food is so much more reliable.")

Buy this book, start with following it slavishly and experiment later. I guarantee you will have great results.

I have never eaten so well.

---- "Everything Changes" by: "delaware" http://www.myspace.com/delawareuk

Feed Me! come third, so...

Do you have a therapy, product, good or service that is of interest to MSers?

Consider advertising on this podcast.

Reminders on this segment only cost $0.03 per reminder per download of an episode. (A $30CPM targeted at MSers.)

It can/should lead to a full ad, in text, audio or video, which costs $3.00 per download.

That sounds expensive until you do the math and realize that if nobody downloads it it costs you nothing, unlike print, where you often can't even get an ad in to the specialized journals, or radio or TV where you'd just be wasting your money with the 0.0833% MSers rate of return. (That's about six times "below" the level of "statistical noise".)

But MSBPodcast is 100% in your market, and you only pay per download of your material.

No play, no pay.

Reach the MSers who would buy your therapy, product, good or service, with-out having to waste your advertising money on anyone who is "not" interested...

Send me an email at: charles (at) MSBPodcast.com

---- "Feelin Changes " by: "Kparx" http://music.podshow.com/music/listeners/parkerk0422@sbcglobal.net

Main topic: This too shall pass. (The music is all about changes too... :-)

I'm very ambivalent about that phrase.

I mean, ultimately, the continents will move, the weather will go through warming and cooling, the shore lines will scurry about as ocean levels rise and fall.

Yeah, but that's taking a point of view over geologic time scales.

I'm living in the here and now and I've got, at best, another forty years to live. (Okay, I'm going to set up a non-profit as my legacy and MSBPodcast could live on after I'm pushing the daisies, but, I ask myself "Why?")

What do we need to accomplish as a society to take care of all these alleged orphan diseases to benefit us all, both the living now and those still unborn?

What can be done for us MSers, as well as all the permanently or even temporarily disabled?

The ten to fifteen percent of us all who are out of the mainstream.

If all there was was a world filled with hewers of wood and drawers of water, I'd feel really bad for our chances.

We'd be an anchor on life, saddling all our families and relations with one more unproductive mouth to feed.

But we're not the ancient Innu, faced with a short, cold life ending it by walking out onto an Arctic ice floe to sit and wait to freeze to death and feed the Polar bears. It is not our fate.

We can be productive in other ways.

We have brains, and the brains to use them.

---- "Changes" by: "Love = Action" http://www.myspace.com/loveisaction

Main topic part "deux".

I'm not going to harp on again about countries dividing us as a species, (our own prejudices actually do that,) because I feel that the disparity is actually a benefit to the human species, providing us with a much richer cultural heritage than would be the case otherwise.

Not to mention all those cuisines I have sampled and have yet to sample. :-)

I'm not just wishing we could all get rid of the hostility, the heritage of patriarchy, I'm doing something about it.

In my own way, saddled as I am with an uncooperative body and my own almost non-existing funding, I am trying to leverage off of the opportunities presented by podcasting.

I'm trying to make the most of the internet effect to bring us out of the obscurity imposed by our disease, the shadows unexplored by people who are too busy to give us a thought.

And bring us some tunes to boot. And you should feel free (an odd choice of words, I admit,) to support the artists featured on this podcast, by buying their music.

---- "Changes" by: "finniston" http://www.myspace.com/finniston

Outro

1 comment:

Charles-A. Rovira said...

If you're wondering about the remarkable Innu people of Northern Quebec and Labrador, I would recommend that you go to this [http://www.innu.ca/ ] series of web pages.