Friday, March 02, 2007

msb-0120 Say WHAT?!?!

msb-0120 Say WHAT?!?!

Intro

Lets try this yet again "en Francais":
"Parlez vous Français?

Voudriez vous avoir un programme sur les expériences de quelq'un qui à la sclérose en plaque, dit en Français?

Malheureusement, il n'y a rien pour vous.

Il va vous faloir le créer.

C'est votre chance alors.

Joignez vous a MSBPodcast.com et commencez en un
.

Envoyez moi un courriel á charles á MSBPodcast.com (Cette offre est bonne en France et/ou au Québec)"

(Speech courtesy of AT&T research [http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php ])
I know some of you have come to the blog, or to the podcast yet again.

Drop me an email at charles (at) MSBPodcast.com.

Now, lets try this again "auf deutsch":
"Sprechen Sie Deutsches?

Wurden Sie mögen ein Programm für Sie auf den Erfahrungen von jemand haben, die mit der mehrfachen Sklerose, auf Deutsch?

Leider gibt es nichts für Sie.

Sie müssen sie verursachen.

Dieses ist Ihre Wahrscheinlichkeit dann.

Verbinden Sie MSBPodcast.com und Anfang eins."

(Translation courtesy of Babel Fish [http://babelfish.altavista.com/] speech courtesy of AT&T research [http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php ]
(Hopefully some native German speaker will take pity on his ears and spare me the indignity and drop me an email at charles (at) MSBPodcast.com. :-)

And the number of visitors to my sites from the Netherlands, (check the map at MSBPodcast.com,) tells that there's an awful lot of Dutch speakers out there too. (I don't speak Dutch and I'm not going to pretend that I do.)

Anybody in the Netherlands interested in doing a show for Dutch speaking MSers?

You'd get the same deal as the Greek (hello Homer [ http://mysclerosismultiple.blogspot.com/ ] :-), the Francophones and the German speakers.

Drop me a line: charles (at) MSBPodcast.com

---- "Hymn" by: "Polaradio" http://www.polaradio.com/

Feedback comes first, so...

Speaking of feedback, I got some from Homer.

It seems the Greek government's customs department's greed got in the way of a gift.

They were trying to charge him more in customs duty than the mike than the mike is worth, way more, like 230 Euros ($USD250).

I'm sending him a check for the locally available equivalent instead and the customs can go screw themselves.

And I really don't think much of FedEx in Greece either. And I'm going to have to pay them twice for shipping just to get stuck with yet another mike ($95USD, who knows what it'll cost me to get it back to where it was shipped from [and once more to mail the mike my house {FedEx are not getting another cent from me. The damn mike is not worth as much as the shipping!}])

I wish I could curse in Greek. (In fact I will go to the Greek embassy here in New York and give the Commercial Attache absolute hell over this. It won't accomplish a thing but I'll feel better making some man squirm helplessly over the shameful treatment of a fellow MSer through his own people's cupidity and stupidity. [And I will then give him the fucking mike and give him the responsibility for making sure it gets to somewhere in Greece where it can do some good. {There is none of this customs crap with diplomatic mail.} And then I don't really care if he uses it as a suppository.])

Let him tell me he feels justified and proud that his country's custom's department is getting in the way and preventing me from giving a gift to a fellow MSer.

Basically, I will never send anything real anymore.

I'm going to get the recipients to give me the price that a decent USB mike costs locally with some large international distributor and I will buy and mail them a gift card for that price, plus tax.

The end result will be the same and, an MSer will get a mike and be able to put a show in his language, and screw the local, uh, I hate to use the word authorities, because that would imply that they were knowledgeable about what is like trying to live with MS. (Man I really feel sorry for custom's brokers. They have to deal with this crap all day long.)

Well, we've now ironed out the bugs in the system and cut to the chase of getting a means of podcasting into somebody's hands:
  • Find a USB microphone available locally,
  • transfer funds by mailing a one-time-charge-card for the local amount, including tax, or if he's already bought it, mailing a check (Canadian/British spelling being "cheque") for the amount on a receipt reimbursing the podcaster,
  • keep any and all governments out of the gift-giving process all together. They only exist to put barriers in the way. (Seems that that's the role of government, to erect barriers, [like that something to be proud of, {you can't give something to our citizens, (how incredibly stupid, [that, and blow shit up and kill people,])}] but there's nothing they can do to stop us from doing it in this way.)
Since I'm dealing with people who already have a computer and who blog, I figure people are sophisticated enough to tell me if there are any flaws in the plan, and we can adjust for local conditions.

And I have to thank Homer for the learning experience, and so should you, by listening to his show (even if you wont understand it. I'm sure he'll put up something up on his blog in English as well as in Greek, that's why I chose him. That and he wanted to. [I'm sending him another mike, pop screen and software to try and make up for the crap he went through. But this time, it's coming in an unmarked box with a plain brown wrapper, with no price tags anywhere and labeled as a GIFT. So he'll have two mikes. Big deal! I have six of varying quality or usage. ] :-)

In fact, we're quite probably going to coordinate the translation thing with resources available for free over the internet. In fact I received some software "Speek to me...Greek!" to install on my PC and I'll do that and get back to you about that. (Lets try the phrase "All governments are fundamentally, deeply and persistently idiotic patriarchal impositions." ["Όλες οι κυβερνήσεις είναι πλήρως, βαθειά και διαρκώς βλακώδεις πατριαρχικές επιβολές" {transation Cuortesy of http://babelfish.altavista.com/.])

He's been terrific throughout this whole experience.

All anybody needs to do is give MSBPodcast access to their episodes. The content is all yours and so is whatever else you do with the equipment. Just link to me and I'll link to back you.

If you want to go commercial, you can even do so and best of luck to you.

---- "Tribal Hymn " by: "Kevin Wood" http://sceniclistening.com/

Feed forward
come next, so...

I'm not really in the mood to share any tid-bits with my listeners today after hearing about Homer's dilemma. (Though he was a realist about it and told me that with Greece's tortured and tumultuous past, he didn't expect anything else.)

But I gotta know...

Who lives out in Cartwright out on the Labrador coast?

You must live in one of the remotest, most beautiful parts of God's own country. (It may have been, uh, given away to Newfoundland to appease Joey Smallwood and get him to join into the Canadian Confederation, but landscapes like that own you, not the other way around.)

I mean, there aren't even roads out there along the fjords.

I would love to get some pictures of the scenery you must wake up to every morning. And the moose and caribou out there. You must eat great wild game.

Drop me a line: charles (at) MSBPodcast.com , and attach some pictures, please.

----

Here is the play my wife went to see:

INTIMATE APPAREL

MARCH 2-11, 2007

Fridays and Saturdays at 8pm

Sundays at 3pm

Early Riser Thursday March 8th at 7pm

$20 gen. Adm./$15 seniors & students

The Attic Ensemble

at The Barrow Mansion

83 Wayne Street, Jersey City, NJ

Reservations & information

201-413-9200

AtticEnsemble.org

Charge reservations online

www.brownpapertickets.com/event/10680

Path train to Grove St.

Free Parking at UPARK on Christopher Columbus Ave.

“Intimate Apparel” set in Manhattan 1905 gives us a cast of characters who share a common thread of desire; a genuine caring relationship. They express the cultural and social attitudes of the time period.

The actors were excellent. The set, props,and costumes convincingly portrayed turn of the century New York. In short its local theater at it's best.

Go see the show and find out if their hopes were realized.



---- "Evening Hymn" by: "Kent Gustavson" http://www.kentgustavson.com/

Feed Me! come third, so...

Do you have a therapy, product, good or service that is of interest to MSers?

Consider advertising on this podcast.

Reminders on this segment only cost $0.03 per reminder per download of an episode. (A $30CPM targeted at MSers.)

It can/should lead to a full ad, in text, audio or video, which costs $3.00 per download.

That sounds expensive until you do the math and realize that if nobody downloads it it costs you nothing, unlike print, where you often can't even get an ad in to the specialized journals, or radio or TV where you'd just be wasting your money with the 0.0833% MSers rate of return. (That's about six times "below" the level of "statistical noise".)

But MSBPodcast is 100% in your market, and you only pay per download of your material.

No play, no pay.

Reach the MSers who would buy your therapy, product, good or service, with-out having to waste your advertising money on anyone who is "not" interested...

Send me an email at: charles (at) MSBPodcast.com

---- "Hymn to Saint Magnus " by: "Jane Valencia" http://www.foresthalls.org/

Main topic: Say WHAT?

As you can tell from this episodes feedback, I'm particularly disappointed by government greed (cupidity and stupidity.)

And they're all the same. Every single one of them. By definition.

Its the triumph of imbecility over the glaringly obvious...

We're facing a problem that affects us all as a species, with utter disregard for any artificial edifices erected since we first walked out of Africa, or where ever the species actually originated.

So here goes, an open letter over the internet:
"Dear world leaders,

we've been struck with a disease.

What language do you think whatever triggers our remitting/relapsing or our progressive MS really speaks?

Do you think that your speaking a particular language or belonging to a particular tribe or group confers any immunity?

How many people from your own family died during the last great flu pandemic in 1918? (Its surely far more than you're remembering right now.)

So why are you cutting us all off from each other?

I know you really don't care, but, since you wouldn't help even if you cold, how about really doing nothing, staying out of the way and letting us help ourselves.

You can strut about and pin all the medals and ribbons on your chests you want.

But, please, stay out our way.

It even saves you money so you can buy bang sticks and more ribbons.

-MSBPodcast
Well, we haven't got a hope in Hell, but we may have one in Heaven, hence all of the tunes on this episode are "hymns."

---- "Hymnal 136" by: "Drye Glassmeyer" http://ncmeast.com/

Main topic, part "deux"

Its going to be a really short show today.

I'm just disgusted at the artificial structures we're all stuck with, on top of some of us being saddled with MS.

I'm reminded of the speech by MARULLUS in Julius Caesar:
"...
You blocks, you stones, you worse than senseless things!
O you hard hearts, you cruel men of Rome,
...
Be gone!
Run to your houses, fall upon your knees,
Pray to the gods to intermit the plague
That needs must light on this ingratitude."
[ http://shakespeare.mit.edu/julius_caesar/full.html ]
Strike Rome and put Athens in its place.

Its no wonder Socrates drank the hemlock.

Homer really deserves your support and I for one look forward to hearing him speak his words on his show. (He got a mike on his own obviously. :-)

I hope he regales us all with some Greek bouzouki music and informs us all about nutrition and MS.

---- "Thats So Rhymney " by: "Audio Circus" http://audiocircus.org.uk/

Like I said last week, support the artists by going to their websites and buying their music.

Lord only knows I give enough links on the show notes and on the podcast through iTunes. ;-)

Outro

2 comments:

mdmhvonpa said...

Considering seeing 300 the movie soon?

Charles-A. Rovira said...

Yeah. :-)

It looks like its going to be a real slash fest.

I'm sure it'll be playing at a theater near me.

I'll just follow the trail of blood and gibbets.