Wednesday, April 02, 2008

msb-0282 Over To You Shauna ...

msb-0282 Over To You Shauna ...

intro

Disclaimer! Disclaimer! Disclaimer!

MSBPodcast is "not" any kind of a medical podcast.

It is by and for MSers.

Its purpose is to keep us entertained, to explain our symptoms, to remark on our discoveries, and to raise the general consciousness about our disease.

The path to illness is shadowy, murky and rough strewn.

The path to wellness is lit by the lamp of knowledge.

----

Feedback comes first, so...

Oh by the way, I'm over 60,000 downloads

----

I am on the verge of releasing the "MSBWiki".

Its quite a concept.; opening a space with the same look-and-feel, and as much potential, as "Wikipedia", but just for MSers.

And, like this friggin' disease doesn't care about national, religious, racial, ethnic or linguistic barriers, the"MSBWiki" can be multi-lingual as it needs to be. (Language is the "only" barrier that really divides people. [If "you" make a noise that "I" can make sense of, then "we" can "communicate" {... You dig?}])

I'm about to incorporate all of the MSBPodcast episodes, news from any of the MS organizations and their chapters who want to participate and who knows, maybe I'll even be able to convince some serious people to "cite" their peer-reviewed articles on this site.

And finally, I hope to convince to put their ads here all of the the makers of products, therapies, goods and services for MSers (that means makers of anything and everything from "Abacavir" [from GlaxoSmithKline] to Merck's treatments for "Zygomycosis" [Hey, just cause you've got MS doesn't grant you immunity from anything else, specially with the immuno-suppression treatments we're currently trying to live with, {instead of actually curing the damn thing.}])

In an ideal world, self-diagnosis still requires two things:
  • The ability to read the opaque symptom descriptions and relate them to your own symptoms, (Good luck! I'm no dummy and I can't do it! [It doesn't help that MS symptoms are only tangentially related to the actual disease.])
  • That somebody has already accurately described your disease and come up with a treatment.
Its not an ideal world, is it?

Then you've got to find a "cure" for whatever disease, which means that somebody else has already some ideas about it. (Lorenzo's oils are few and far between [The worst part is that the demyelinating disease which struck Lorenzo might provide some insights into multiple sclerosis and remyelination. {see "The Myelin Project" ( http://www.myelin.org/ ) for details}])

---- "Uluru" by: "Dave Ransom" http://www.daveransom.com/

Feed Forward comes next, so...

This is "your" segment.

Say "your" piece on this segment.

Share with other MSers whatever "you" want to share.

Drop me an email: "charles at MSBPodcast.com"

---- "Ode" by: "Dave Ransom" http://www.daveransom.com/

Feed Me comes third, so...

Do you have a therapy, product, good or service that is of interest to MSers?

Consider advertising on this podcast.

Reminders on this segment only cost $0.03 per reminder per download of an episode. (A $30CPM targeted at MSers.)

It can/should lead to a full ad, in text, audio or video, which costs $3.00 per download.

That sounds expensive until you do the math and realize that if nobody downloads it it costs you nothing, unlike print, where you often can't even get an ad in to the specialized journals, or radio or TV where you'd just be wasting your money with the 0.0833% MSers rate of return. (That's about six times "below" the level of "statistical noise".)

But MSBPodcast is 100% in your market, and you only pay per download of your material.

No play, no pay.

Reach the MSers who would buy your therapy, product, good or service, with-out having to waste your advertising money on anyone who is "not" interested...

Send me an email at: "charles (at) MSBPodcast.com"

---- "The Open Road" by: "Dave Ransom" http://www.daveransom.com/

"Thesis:"

You know, I am ever so pleased to have Shauna MacKinnon here helping me out on Wednesday's.

It frees me up to pursue other opportunities, including following up on some leads trying to get to some advertisers. They should be starting to be hungry "now" [ http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/31/business/media/31paper.html?ref=media ] that newspapers are starting to get scarce.

So lets see if we can interest them interested in a podcast...

Ah, here comes Shauna now...


---- "Close Your Eyes" by: "Dave Ransom" http://www.daveransom.com/

"Synthesis:"

Strength

I had come across a line that rang true with me and saved for when I began my blog. Then I went looking for the source of it. It came from this lady's blog: http://www.tmjfriends.com/articles/after-the-cure/

Stacy was kind enough to let me quote her.

The line that so resonated with me?

Anyone who has ever gone through a serious illness has probably been told that they are “so strong,” when in fact, that strength has been mistaken for a patient’s need to not inflict any more emotional pain on those surrounding them.

Is my use of humor simply an attempt to make other people feel better? Or do I really just have an excellent sense of irony? I can also be quite sarcastic. Is that another defense mechanism? Or do I really just have an excellent sense of humor? Are my coping mechanisms deemed strength by other people? I certainly hope so.

Otherwise they'd be shocked to know how frightened I am sometimes. That would be a weakness. And most of us don't like others knowing our soft spots. The cat's out of the bag now though, isn't it?

S.

---- "Change of Plans" by: "Dave Ransom" http://www.daveransom.com/

"Conclusion:"

Meow meow...

Yes illness of often perceived as weakness because the end result is often the same: a disability.

But as someone who once recovered from a hospital bed where I'd been laid low by an attack, I can tell you that you shouldn't take advantage of people in a vulnerable state because they sometimes get better or get brothers to lay your ass into the grass.

The 'States may be the ultimate refuge of the individualistic principle; but in unity there "is" all the strength we need.

---- "Fire" by: "Dave Ransom" http://www.daveransom.com/

This episode figured all music by "Dave Ransom," because something about it reminds me of "Bert Jantz"; the casual virtuosity of real talent echoes from the latter to the former.

Once again, I was transported on wings of memory to a quiet, still place in my soul where I was once again hunched over my guitar, fingers of my left hand flying over the fretboard, lightly alighting over the strings while the fingers of my right hand were plucking melodies out of the wooden miracle box at my chest.

I'm looking at my guitar case in the corner of my office.

I can't play anymore and that's the cruelest cut of all.

Outro

No comments: