Saturday, July 07, 2007

msb-0172 Books books books...

msb-0172 Books books books...

intro

---- "Open Book" by: "The Rakes" http://www.myspace.com/therakes

Feedback comes first, so...

There is none from you.

Boo Hoo...

But what is truly surprising is that I've had more visitors from Iran than from Australia.
What geo-political game is afoot?

I am also astonished by the number of visitors I have from India. I know its about a billion people, (three times the number of people living in North America!) but still,they speak hundreds of languages other than English.

---- "Yearbook" by: "Splitsville" http://www.splitsville.com/

Feed Forward comes next, so...

This is "your" segment.

Say "your" piece on this segment.

Share with other MSers whatever "you" want to share.

Drop me an email: charles at MSBPodcast.com

---- "ripped pages in an open book" by: "Stefanie Harger" http:///

Feed Me comes third, so...

Do you have a therapy, product, good or service that is of interest to MSers?

Consider advertising on this podcast.

Reminders on this segment only cost $0.03 per reminder per download of an episode. (A $30CPM targeted at MSers.)

It can/should lead to a full ad, in text, audio or video, which costs $3.00 per download.

That sounds expensive until you do the math and realize that if nobody downloads it it costs you nothing, unlike print, where you often can't even get an ad in to the specialized journals, or radio or TV where you'd just be wasting your money with the 0.0833% MSers rate of return. (That's about six times "below" the level of "statistical noise".)

But MSBPodcast is 100% in your market, and you only pay per download of your material.

No play, no pay.

Reach the MSers who would buy your therapy, product, good or service, with-out having to waste your advertising money on anyone who is "not" interested...

Send me an email at: charles (at) MSBPodcast.com

---- "Like A Book" by: "Carrie Catherine" http://www.carriecatherine.com/

Main Topic: "Books books books..."

My mother was a librarian so I come by my love of the printed word quite naturally.

I also am a firm believer in things taking the time they need to properly develop.

Just imagine doing a full biography of anybody in only one hour.

Never happen. Not even if they're only one hour old.

It always becomes a question of what do you choose to leave out.

(That's why I always laugh at any television program which claims to be authoritative. Its easily possible to spin out a twelve volume introduction into the mating habits of elephants with sex actually being discussed in a follow-on collection. [And yet a third, eagerly anticipated, illustrated collection to follow! :-])

I love books and I just about line the walls of my house with 'em.

Not to mention all the book that my wife gets from the library. (But those get returned. :-)

And there are stacks of magazines which, uh, periodically diminish, when we've tread them and get tired of seeing them, despite their being in "neat little, though ever growing, piles," and decide to do a "trash run."

---- "Book of Sand" by: "Disparition" http://disparition.net/

Main Topic, part deux:

In a seemingly completely unrelated topic, this weekend the New York Times [ http://www.nytimes.com/ ] ran an article [ http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/08/magazine/08sociability-t.html?ref=science ] in the week0end section on "Williams Syndrome".

To quote from the article:
"Williams syndrome rises from a genetic accident during meiosis, when DNA’s double helix is divided into two separate strands, each strand then becoming the genetic material in egg or sperm. Normally the two strands part cleanly, like a zipper’s two halves. But in Williams, about 25 teeth in one of the zippers — 25 genes out of 30,000 in egg or sperm — are torn loose during this parting. When that strand joins another from the other parent to eventually form an embryo, the segment of the DNA missing those 25 genes can’t do its work."
That got me thinking of a possible genetic cause for MS.

Might our misbehaving immune system program, for want of a better word, be exhibiting the type of error caused by same type of missing instructions of the portion of our genetic response to infection.

Tearing a page from the book of life, (sorry, I'm an inveterate and unrepentant meme punster,) might the root cause of MS, and the inappropriate immune system response to some environmental trigger, be caused by just such a transcription error?

And might the trigger for such inappropriate immune system response tell us which particular "page" is missing?

(Hmmm... In my case, exacerbations seem to be triggered by the presence of the influenza virus. In MDMHvonPA's case, there seems to be a definite genetic component, as if the transcription error or the propensity for the transcription error was inherited. The disease might be in an entirely different portion of the coding for the T Cells, which are in turn used for the extremely subtle and delicate work of crafting immune system responses to different environmental triggers [relapsing/remitting] or classes of environmental triggers [progressive.])

It bears thinking about.

In any case, MS as a disease is only mysterious when you look at it at the most superficial level.

Once you understand that the perceived symptoms, the evidence that you're sick, is only peripherally related to what is really happening to you, ("viz:" your myelin is being attacked by your misfiring immune system T Cells,) things can progress from there.

You have to disregard all of the normal symptoms and the normal interpretation of these symptoms to arrive at a proper understanding of the real disease.

---- "The Reader Of 360 Million Books" by: "Shams" http://www.shamsonline.com/

Outro

8 comments:

Miss Chris said...

I also have a love of books. I like anything from Stephen King to political stuff. Needless to say, I've read tons of books on MS.

Charles-A. Rovira said...

My wife and I both love books.

My mother was a librarian, my father was a printer and I think I have ink for blood.

Pictures of this office show far more printed material than computer and audio gear. (Okay, lots of the books are about computers, but there a few collections of art books, a few collections of sci-fi, a few collections of humor, a few ... uh ... you get the idea. :-)

mouse said...

Then there's book, as in "I booked us seats on the Orient Express". Hmmmm, I must have Agatha Christie in mind.

To turn the page back to MS roots, my gut thinks it is closely related to polio, although I am also certain that many a scientist has meandered down that road. But in that the final outcome of the disorder is much the same, it would seem that what we go through is some sort of immune response to rid ourselves of the virus. Hopefully, one day soon, they will figure it out.

Charles-A. Rovira said...

Agatha Christie... Arthur Conan Doyle... Simonin... Childhood heroes all. :-)

Our guts might be closer together on this than you'd think.

I think that we do indeed go through some sort of immune system response to get rid of something (a specific disease [relapsing/remitting] or a class of diseases [chronic/degenerative]) that our immune system mistakes our myelin for.

But the cause of disease may be unrelated from the expression of the disease.

MS may very well be present in people and never be triggered.

The presence of the disease can be independent of the presence of its triggers, which lead me to thinking of MS as a genetic expression disease.

mouse said...

It does seem to run in families, although not mine. My ancestral tentacles go back a very long way. That is not to say that everyone that has it both now and in the past actually ever get diagnosed with it. If I had not had an incident that put a fear in me and my doctor it would have gone unnoticed. I still keep telling myself it's just my age. Personal placebo effect works for me:)

Charles-A. Rovira said...

Until this last attack, which left me using a cane, the same placebo worked for me, (because the alternative was too terrifying.)

Eliminating that fear, that uncertainty is one reason why I'm doing my podcasts.

I wish I could afford to do it right, but the money will come later when the 'cast becomes more visible.

The 'cast WILL become a program (heck, its already an international network!) which can provide an entertainment resource raising the visibility of MS and enhancing the amount of information and media exposure for MSers.

mouse said...

Yes, Thank you for your perseverence!

Charles-A. Rovira said...

I'm humbled by your comment and I will try to persevere (or at least persist. :-)