Friday, August 31, 2007

msb-0194 No More... Please, no more...

msb-0194 No More... Please, no more...

Feedback comes first, so...

Okay, no more Scarlatti. (I like it, but I'm bowing to pressure. [I "like" Scarlatti, and Bach, and Vivaldi, and Hindemith, and John Cage, and Dizzy Gillespie, and Louis Armstrong, and Bix Beiderbecke, and Robert Plante, and Jimmy Hendrix, and, and, and... {I'm freaking hopeless. I am hearing strains of "Mississippi Fred McDowel" and "Beethoven" and there "is" no difference. (Ahh... The stuff I could/would/should fill your ears with, if it wasn't for the freakin' RIAA and their paid pit bull, the damned SoundExchange.))}])

Apart from that:

"Alors les Francophones, vous attendez apres quoi exactement? L'offre est encore bonne. Joignez vous a MSBPodcast.com et creez un podcast en Francais"

"Dann die Deutschen warten Sie, nach denen genau? Das Angebot ist noch gut. Verbinden Sie hat Ihnen MSBPodcast.com und Verursachen Sie ein podcast auf Deutsch."

(Translation courtesy of Babel Fish [ http://world.altavista.com/ ]) speech courtesy of AT&T research [http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php ]

And "Hola" to any Spanish-speaking listeners. (I know I have some.)

---- "Lost Shirt Blues" by: "Davis Coen" http://www.daviscoen.com/

Feed Forward comes next, so...

This is "your" segment.

Say "your" piece on this segment.

Share with other MSers whatever "you" want to share.

Drop me an email: charles at MSBPodcast.com

---- "Two-Timers Blues" by: "Davis Coen" http://www.daviscoen.com/

Feed Me comes third, so...

Do you have a therapy, product, good or service that is of interest to MSers?

Consider advertising on this podcast.

Reminders on this segment only cost $0.03 per reminder per download of an episode. (A $30CPM targeted at MSers.)

It can/should lead to a full ad, in text, audio or video, which costs $3.00 per download.

That sounds expensive until you do the math and realize that if nobody downloads it it costs you nothing, unlike print, where you often can't even get an ad in to the specialized journals, or radio or TV where you'd just be wasting your money with the 0.0833% MSers rate of return. (That's about six times "below" the level of "statistical noise".)

But MSBPodcast is 100% in your market, and you only pay per download of your material.

No play, no pay.

Reach the MSers who would buy your therapy, product, good or service, with-out having to waste your advertising money on anyone who is "not" interested...

Send me an email at: charles (at) MSBPodcast.com

---- "Freight Train" by: "Davis Coen" http://www.daviscoen.com/

"Thesis:"

The essay form is quite daunting, isn't it? Its forcing me to make some decisions that are frankly disturbing. Well...

I am taking a Hint from Bill Moyers and focusing on the last, but bigger and bigger, railing gasps of the broadcast media.

WQRZ in Louisiana showed the power of low power. (ClearChannel and Infinity Broadcasting are definitely "not" the way to go you want to preserve local culture, or local anything.)

Now, putting my McLuhan hat on, what is going to be the role of the internet in this rapidly changing media landscape?

"It is my belief that, the FCC's actions or inactions not withstanding, the role of internet is to have much broader and deeper influence than that of the broadcast media, but that it will have to do so according to the rules operant on bigger agglomerations than those garnered by nation states."

---- "Lay Me A Pallet On Your Floor" by: "Davis Coen" http://www.daviscoen.com/


"Synthesis:"

Lets examine what has transpired, strictly in the narrow field of MS health care, admittedly its my bailiwick's, and I am not claiming to have any influence or interest other than that.

This podcast has English hearing readers/listeners in over a hundred and fifteen countries, (look at my stats if you don't believe me,) and has thousands of on again/off again listeners (again, my download stats will support this.)

All of this has been done without a real budget, without any real expenditures, and without any real promotion. (Lord only knows what will happen when my ad finally appears in "insideMS" this November!)

Now what are the possible causes of this interest?

Apart from the obvious, people have MS, might I have struck a nerve or two with my rants? Possibly. Time will tell if anything comes of this.

And it has raised the profile of MS in Dutch ("Thanks Herrad") and in Greek ("Thanks Homer".)

I have also garnered some listeners in regions with predominantly different religious beliefs, such as Iran, Indonesia, Pakistan, Malaysia, Israel, India, Japan, wherever anybody kneels to prostate themselves (or they might be atheists like me and bow down to nothing and to no one). (Again, my stats will bear this out.)

The multi-nationalism, multi-lingualism and multi-culturalism that this podcast has clearly demonstrated places me in the field of the social anthropologist rather that that of the "deep thinker." (And, to be honest, I prefer to stay shallow. [As the "Detoriata" put it, in the National Lampoon all those years ago, "A walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet". {And who am I to push you into the deep-end of the pool? Right?}])

Now that I've situated MS an an international flail upon the back of the common mortals, regardless of color, race, religious origin, linguistic group or national origin (although there is a bias towards the technologically agile, English, Dutch or Greek speakers of certain economic classes, from any of my listeners/readers,) I think I can draw some generalizations from those facts (my stats bear me out as, opposed to me just pulling numbers out of my ass.)

As small as the problem of MS is, only one in twelve hundred or .0833% of the population contract the disease, it is still a much bigger problem than we think it is world wide, or that we are willing to acknowledge it to be. (So don't give up hope. Together we can yell pretty loudly and get some attention focused on MS.)

Now, given that broadcast media has lavished absolutely no attention on us, except for the very occasional sound bite, where else are we to turn?

Where else can we turn?

To the internet!

The internet is a thorny savior though. (Apologies for the "crown of thorns" imagery that might appear in the minds of my more Catholic listeners/readers.)

National boundaries are still a major pain in the butt. (My experience with Homer is still fresh in my mind. His gummint was trying to levy a duty that was greater than the value of the microphone I was trying to send him. [I mean, 20% even 30% I could pay, but 140% was utterly beyond the limits of graft and greed.] Basically the only good gummint is one that just tries to take care of its citizens and leaves everything else well alone, [and they never do that, do they?])

---- "The Chin" by: "Davis Coen" http://www.daviscoen.com/


"Conclusion:"

Based on the evidence at hand (my stats) and based on my interpretation of that evidence, it is my belief that the internet is to have is much broader influence than that of the broadcast media, but that it will have to do according to rules operant on agglomeration larger that that played by nation states.

---- "How Long Blues w/ Eric Von Schmidt" by: "Davis Coen" http://www.daviscoen.com/

Outro

Oh yeah. I think the new essay format is workin' out just fuckin' fine.

No comments: